Today, browsing an app store can be overwhelming. This isn’t surprising considering there are more than two million apps on Apple’s iOS App Store and on Google play. Unfortunately, this high number makes some consumer-worthy apps go unnoticed.
For me, it’s very irritating to have apps on my phone that I don’t use. Consumers want efficient, user-friendly apps that they will use on a regular basis.
Take a moment to read about ten apps that are not only great for CPAs, but also great for the average person.
- Evernote (iOS & Google play): I thought I’d start out with a really great organizational app that helps you remember everything across all the devices in your everyday life. Take notes, capture photos, create to-do lists, and record voice reminders. All of these are completely searchable at home and at work. Not only is this a great free app, it’s getting recognized as a top app by New York Times, Mashable and more.
- PCalc Lite (iOS): This free app is a fully-functional scientific calculator. Granted, scientific calculator prices have decreased immensely since I was in college, but they can still run you around $15-30.
- Scanner Pro (iOS): Portable scanner at your fingertips! Scans and saves a digital version of a paper document. Also, the PDF Expert app by the same company can read, annotate, sign and fill out PDFs!
- DocuSign (iOS & Google play): DocuSign provides a simple and secure way to electronically sign documents and collect signatures from others. DocuSign is the most widely used eSignature and Digital Transaction Management platform in the world.
- Jump Desktop (iOS & Google play): I’ve said this many times, “I need to access that document, but it’s on my work computer.” This app is a secure and reliable remote desktop app which lets you connect to any computer, anywhere in the world.
- Timesheet (Google play): Time entry taking up your time? No need, this free app allows you to record your work with a simple push of a button. You can easily add breaks, expenses and notes. Manage your projects and export your data to Microsoft Excel. Clear overviews and statistics will give you the best working experience.
- Accounting Today (iOS & Google play): This free app brings the magazine’s print content, daily news, analysis, videos, case studies and more to the palm of your hand.
- Car Locator (Google play): This app may not be for everyone, but for someone that forgets where your car is parked, nothing could be more helpful. Save your location when you park and Car Locator will help you find your car!
- Dragon Dictation (iOS): No need to dictate notes anymore. This free app is a voice recognition application that allows you to easily speak and instantly see your text. It’s that simple.
- CPAmerica International Events (iOS & Google play): Last, but definitely not least. This is our very own event app. Attending one of our events? Download this free app and connect with fellow attendees email, Linkedin and Twitter, access the event schedule and materials, look at speaker bios and get up-to-date notifications.
Considering the high number of apps out there, feel free to comment on what apps you can’t live without. I’m certain I missed many useful ones.
Sarah Coulson is the Marketing Communications Specialist for CPAmerica International. She manages the association’s external communication, including branding, social media, press releases, event marketing collateral and the website for CPAmerica and CPAConnect.